Baby it’s cold outside. One fun benefit of chillier weather is the opportunity to gather around a cozy table with friends and family and enjoy a hearty, warm, soul-nurturing brunch. We’ve compiled our favorite yummy brunch-ready recipes for your enjoyment. Just add coffee.
Allergen-Free Cinnamon Rolls
This special cinnamon rolls recipe is allergen-free, contains healthy chia seeds and packs a powerful dose of flavor. It’s great for a weekend treat or a family brunch.
- ¾ c. nondairy milk
- ½ c. water
- 2¼ tsp. dry active yeast
- 2 Tbsp. ground chia seeds (I used white, feel free to use black)
- 2 Tbsp. ground psyllium husk (or use more chia seeds OR flaxseed meal)
- 4 Tbsp. vegan butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 3 c. Cara’s All-Purpose Flour Blend (or other gluten free mix)
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter, melted
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (or omit)
- 1 Tbsp. hot water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Warm nondairy milk and water together until lukewarm. Whisk in yeast and allow to froth up for 10 minutes. Add chia seeds, pysllium, butter and vinegar. Whisk together and set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the middle of flour mix and stir. Knead dough until manageable and somewhat smooth.
- Roll out on your counter under parchment paper. Dough shouldn’t be too sticky. Roll into a large rectangle–thicker than ¼”/3 mm. Combine sugar filling in small bowl and add on top of the dough.
- Tightly roll the dough (use the parchment paper to guide you if needed).Trim edges and slice in half. Slice those halves in half until you have eight pieces.
- Grease pan of choice and place rolls inside, cut-side up. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour. These should rise so they’re touching each other in the pan. They will not double in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 18 minutes or until the edges are firm. Place pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Whisk icing and pour over cinnamon rolls.
Fancy Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats, ground into a fine flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1.5 cups + 3 tablespoons almond milk (or favorite allergen-free version)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or agave nectar)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup diced ripe bananas (about 2 small/medium)
- Coconut Whipped Cream, for garnish (or favorite allergen-free version)
- Chopped Fresh Strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- In a blender, blend the buckwheat groats on high speed until a fine flour forms. Place into a large bowl. Whisk rest of the dry ingredients (rice flour, arrowroot, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon).
- In medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, syrup, and vanilla extract. Pour onto dry ingredients and whisk batter until no clumps remain.
- Dice banana until it’s the size of peas or a bit larger. Fold the diced banana into the batter.
- Lightly grease the skillet. Scoop heaping 1/4 cup of batter onto preheated skillet and quickly spread batter out into a circle. Cook until bubbles appear and the edge looks deeper in color and more firm. Flip and cook until golden. Adjust heat as needed. Repeat for the other pancakes.
- Stack and serve with Coconut Whipped Cream and fresh chopped strawberries, if desired. Or simply serve with pure maple syrup!
Cherry Açaí Bowl
Have you tried açaí bowls yet? These delicious meal or snack items have cultivated quite the fan following. The açaí berry is full of antioxidants and is often paired with other healthy fare like bananas, granola and berries. It will satisfy your sweet tooth and provide you with nutrients you need to power through your day. We found a recipe for a cherry bowl we can’t wait to try, thank you, Breakfast Criminals.
(Image by Breakfast Criminals)
Ingredients to blend:
- 1 Sambazon açaí smoothie pack
- 1/3 cup frozen blackberries
- 1 frozen peach
- 1 ripe frozen banana
- 1 tbsp maca
- 2 tbsp raw cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup coconut water
Top with: cherries, blueberries, goji berries, banana and chia seeds.
Delicious Avocado Toast
You can’t go wrong with avocados and this toast recipe is no exception! Keep it simple with just avocado and salt or kick it up a notch and add all your favorite toppings like hemp seeds and red pepper flakes. See the original recipe here.
(Image by Noming Thru Life)
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1-2 roasted garlic bulbs, cloves removed
- 1 large avocado, thinly sliced or mashed
- hemp seeds
- red chili flakes (crushed red pepper)
- salt & pepper
Toast slices of bread. Smear slices with roasted garlic cloves. Next lay avocado slices or spread mashed avocado on top. Then sprinkle with desired amount of hemp seeds, red chili flakes and salt and pepper. Enjoy immediately!
If you enjoyed these recipes, you’ll love Hero Nutritionals’ Picky Eater Recipe Guide. Download it for free here: Picky Eater Approved Recipes. Enjoy and let us know which recipe you like most.